top of page


Study Visas

The Australian government operates an Overseas Student Program which allows people who are not Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents to study in Australia. Any person who is not an Australian resident may apply to study in Australia. Generally, a person who wants to study under the Overseas Student Program must get a Student visa before they can begin to study their course in Australia. In some cases, a Student Visa can be granted when you are already in Australia with a valid visa.

As well as helping you to obtain a Student visa, we can also help you enrol in a variety of courses. Student visas can be quite straight forward, so you may be able to apply for a visa yourself. Often the school you enrol in can assist you. If you wish to “do-it- yourself”, we suggest you review the information on this website as well as the Australian Government's Immigration and citizenship page.

Studying in Groups

You can be granted a Student visa only if you intend to undertake a registered course on a full-time basis. A registered course is an education or training course offered by an Australian education provider who is registered with the Australian Government to offer courses to overseas students. The Australian Government Department of Education and Training has a list of registered courses.

To be granted a Student Visa you must:

  • Be a genuine applicant.

  • Be accepted for a full-time registered course.

  • Be of good character.

  • Be healthy.

  • Have no debts with the Commonwealth of Australia.

  • Have fulfilled previous visa conditions (if you have had a visa before).Have sufficient funds to support yourself and members of your family for the length of your course.

  • If you are a fee-paying student, you must have paid your health cove insurance.

  • Arrange for the education of any school aged dependents that you have.


Once you have a Student visa and are studying in Australia, you must:

  • Remain enrolled in a course.

  • Continue to pay your course fees.

  • Have a satisfactory study and attendance record.

When you are in Australia, you and members of your family will be permitted to work for up to 48 hours each fortnight during each semester and full-time during semester breaks. If you are studying for a Masters or Doctorate degree, then members of your family can work full-time during the semester.

Young Academic Girl
bottom of page